Created 21 years ago by well-known musical theatre performer Queenie van de Zandt, AMTA's Children's Audition Preparation Workshops have become renowned for their graduates having the highest success rate of students cast in professional musicals. Having studied audition technique for over 25 years, Queenie has developed a unique audition practice, that has helped her former students gain lead roles in shows such as Frozen, Hamilton, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, School of Rock, Les Misérables and Mary Poppins, to name just a few. It is this success that has seen her hailed in the press as a ‘musical theatre star-maker’. Queenie has now redesigned the Children’s Audition Preparation Workshops to run online.
Run over 3 days of 4-hour blocks, with each day focussing on a different musical, children will have fun learning what they need to know, to audition successfully for commercial musicals. The workshops take a three-pronged approach: children learn the material from the show that they need to know to feel confident in an audition; they’re then taught Queenie’s unique audition method, which has seen hundreds of children and adults she’s worked with be cast in musicals; and lastly parents are also sent a guide to help navigate their child through the audition process.
And like all of our workshops and courses at The Australian Musical Theatre Academy (AMTA), during the workshop they’ll be working with Australia’s leading performing and creative artists - the people who create and/or perform in Australia’s most prominent, commercial musicals.
Our workshops are comprehensive AND fun with your children leaving the workshop:
- Having sung, acted, and danced with Australia’s best musical theatre practitioners
- Having prepared what they need to know to walk into an audition with confidence and ease
- With a sense of being part of a theatrical community and a great attitude towards the whole experience of auditioning
- With a certificate of attendance to acknowledge their skill and participation
- With the edge they need to get the part!
As well as that, parents:
- Will be sent an email chock-a-block full of invaluable follow up material, to help them navigate the logistics of having such a talented youngster including Queenie’s e-book: “How to Audition for a Professional Musical” and research information on upcoming professional musicals starring children.